Sunday, January 2, 2011

Oscar Contenders-January 2, 2011

Recently saw two movies being touted as Oscar contenders. Are they really Oscar contenders? How the heck do I know? I don't get a vote. And the academy and I never really seem to agree on nominations and winners but here is my take on these two recent releases.

Last week I went to see Black Swan with my sister. It really was an intriguing film. However, I could tell it was not the kind of movie I would bother to see again. It's basically the story of a ballerina as she succumbs to the pressure that accompanies her chosen career. That, of course, is a very simplistic description of the film. It is quite an amazing ride. It is at times beautiful and other times I had to cover my eyes. It can be quite confusing as one tries to figure out what is really happening and what is all in Nina the ballerina's (what a rhyme) mind. If I had to categorize the film I would call it psychological thriller. The performances are excellent and Natalie Portman is probably a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination. A couple of actresses in supporting roles may make the cut as well. I would recommend this movie as it certainly is a thought provoking film which lends itself well to conversations. It just isn't the kind of film that bears repeat viewing for me.

The second film I saw was True Grit. Let me preface this by saying that I love the John Wayne version of this film. It was the first western I showed to Elijah and he is a big fan as well. The scene of Ned Pepper telling Rooster "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man" with Rooster responding "Fill your hands you son-of-a-bitch" is a classic and just gets the blood pumping for whatever reason. The 1969 version of True Grit is one of my favoriste 2 westerns, along with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Now, as for the new version. I am happy to say that I will be thrilled to have the Coen Brothers' version of True Grit sit on my video shelf right next to the John Wayne version. From my understanding the newer version is much more faithful to the book. Mattie Ross is the central character in the movie and the story is told from her point of view. The casting of Hailee Steinfeld was nothing short of remarkable. She commands the screen, at one moment portraying a sure, wise beyond her years 14 year old and the next letting the audience in on her vulnerability, her belief in an ideal world and honor, and her youthfulness. Jeff Bridges is also a marvel as Rooster Cogburn but that isn't a surprise. Matt Damon also lends able support.

While I knew the storyline I never truly felt I was watching a remake but a film that stood on its own. The only scene that was a mild disappointment to me was the one I mentioned before. The scene of Rooster and Ned Pepper just didn't have the same kind of thrill to it. However, Elijah was so excited as he knew it was approaching and he enjoyed it just as he did before. As for the Oscars, I don't really know. Probably a cinematography nod. I would definitely love to see a supporting actress nomination and a Best Picture nod since the field is open to 10 nominations. Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon seem to be Academy faves so they might sneak in. Whatever happens though the film was a winner to me. I absolutely loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment