Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Time is Here...December 19,2010

Since I posted a film list at Halloween, thought I'd do the same for Christmas. So here is a list of my 10 must watch movies at Christmas time. These are the movies I have to watch in order for my Christmas season to be complete. I am not counting holiday specials as movies as many of these lists seem to do. The only Christmas specials I have to watch each year are A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. When I was growing up these 2 specials always seem to come on back to back. As for the others I love Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and The Little Drummer Boy. I also really like the Hey, Arnold Christmas episode but that's not shown anymore. Also, fortunately for dvd, I also have to watch the holiday episodes of The Facts of Life, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, That Girl, The Brady Bunch, Laverne and Shirley, Supernatural, and of course, Saved by the Bell. Bewitched, The Andy Griffith Show, and Happy Days also have good episodes but I don't own them.

Okay, here's my 10 must watch movies ( I do include made-for-tv movies)

10. Love Story-Sharon insists this is not a Christmas movie. It is for me. There is a nice Christmas sequence and she does die during the Christmas season. And there are many sequences in the winter and snow. I know this is a really bad movie. Ali MacGraw doesn't even look close to college age and she flares her nostrils too much. Ryan O'Neal is pretty good though and I always kind of laugh at the way he says "hot chocolate". The romance is so unlikely though and the characters are kind of unlikable but I'll be danged if you don't get involved and invested in the romance. And even though you know it's coming, Sharon was boo hooing plenty at the end.

9. The House Without A Christmas Tree-I first saw this tv movie in 1972. It's the story of a young girl, Addie, who lives with her widowed father and her grandmother. More than anything she wants a Christmas tree for her home but her father, for reasons unknown to Addie, refuses to let her have one. Addie tries to take matters into her own hands but her father is unshakable in his stance. The House Without a Christmas Tree stands the test of time and remains poignant and heartwarming. If you've never seen it before or haven't seen it in a while, it is well worth checking out.

8. The Trouble With Angels- Another movie that doesn't quite fit into the traditional Christmas movie mode. This is Sharon's favorite all time movie. This is a family film from the sixties that can still be enjoyed by all ages today. It tells the tale of two high spirited girls enrolled in an all girls Catholic High School and the havoc and maturation they go through over the course of 3 years. There are two very touching Christmas sequences but the whole movie has a Christmas feel to it. It's uplifting with the spirit of love and forgiveness and even redemption. Perfect for the season I think.

7. Love, Actually-Multi-character movie with several subplots that intertwine set at Christmas. It's funny, sad, hopeful, joyous, and definitely worth investing a couple of hours in over the holidays.

6. Home Alone-Elijah and I usually watch this at least once during the season. This can actually be a quite moving film. I can do without all the Bugs Bunny, Looney Tunes violence but the story of a mother trying to get home to her son puts me in the spirit. They did make a sequel but at that point I thought I would be contacting family services about the neglect of a family that can't seem to keep track of their somewhat obnoxious kid.

5. Gremlins/Die Hard-My action twosome. Both set at Christmas time, both (according to my wife) totally inappropriate as Christmas choices. It is my list though. I never thought of Gremlins as a horror movie. I always thought it was kind of a black comedy. It turns some Christmas traditions on their heads yet still keeps that feeling of family alive. And it has to have the most bizarre yet hilarious/sad story of someone losing their belief in Santa ever. Die Hard also has that sense of family running through it. It is also big and noisy, action packed, funny, suspenseful, with an uplifting ending. Again perfect for the season.

4. Miracle on 34th Street-I like to watch this on Thanksgiving to kick off the season. This film is nearly perfect. I can't find a false note in it. Natalie Wood was such a charmer as a child actress and Edmund Gwenn captures the essence of Santa Claus to a tee. Be sure to watch the 1947 version and not the dreadful remakes. I hated both versions I have seen. Anyway, look quick for a small role by Jack Albertson of The Poseidon Adventure fame.

3. It's a Wonderful Life-
This one always tears me up at the end. But it is a joyous celebration of life and humanity. Jimmy Stewart is just so dang likable that you can't help but pull for him while identifying with his plight. Meanwhile Lionel Barrymore is so evil and creepy as Mr. Potter that you just long to see his comeuppance. I have to admit, I do kind of giggle at the end when George is singing Auld Lang Syne. Just the way he moves his mouth. Oh well.

2. A Christmas Story-There are just way too many memorable lines and images from this movie to recount them all. I think my favorite is watching the mom in the background when Ralphie's father is trying to fix the lamp. Classic. This is another film that I can watch several times during the season and I guess TBS gives me that chance.

1. A Diva's Christmas Carol-Ok. I have no rhyme or reason why this is my number one Christmas movie but I just love it. Vanessa Williams is touching and hilarious as Ebony Scrooge, grade A diva. The story is familiar, of course, but I love all the updating and this has my favorite version of Sleigh Ride ever. I think the movie was originally made for VH1 but it plays on Lifetime sometimes as well. It is also available on DVD, which I proudly own. Favorite sequences involve trying to some "damn french toast" while in France, talking to the "skinny bitch" Kathy Griffin as the ghost of Christmas Past, and Ebony's visit from the ghost of Christmas yet to come. I know this is an odd choice for my number one Christmas movie but there it is. Oh, yeah, and don't forget, New Year's Eve is coming, break out your copy of "The Poseidon Adventure"!

Have a happy holiday.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment