Friday, October 29, 2010

Hereafter-October 29, 2010

What happens after we die? Is it fade to black, the end or does something else await beyond our time here on Earth? These are the basic questions posed in the new Clint Eastwood movie Hereafter. The film follows 3 different characters as each is affected by death in different ways. Matt Damon stars as George Lonegan as a man who suffered an illness as a youth that left him with psychic abilities. He has come to believe this ability is more a curse than a gift and is determined he cannot use his "gift" any longer if he is ever to lead a normal life. Meanwhile in Europe a French TV journalist has a near death experience during a tsunami (cool, but scary, special effects sequence here) while on vacation that leaves her shaken and searching for answers. Also, in London, a young boy Marcus loses the person closest to him and needs to find his own answers. The film follows the 3 on their journey that will inevitably lead their lives to intersect.

Hereafter was quite an effective if not sad film. The whole look of the film was pretty somber and there are not many light moments to be had. However, I found myself very involved with these characters and was interested in where the story would take them. The reactions of the people around them was frustrating yet realistic and understandable. The main actors were all extremely likable and sympathetic. Overall, it was a film that leaves room for much discussion and a feeling, for me at least, of hope.

To be honest, though, this was a hard film for me to watch. I suspect this may be true for many members of my family or anyone else who has lost a close loved one. Much of the film I watched on the verge of tears as I could easily identify with the characters and their experiences. It all hits very close to home so just wanted to send that out as a note to family members. Still a very worthwhile film to see. Maybe not a great "Happy Birthday" movie to see.

Anyways, there you have it. My first review of a new movie. Hopefully not bad for a first entry but expect they will get better. As to the rest of my movie experience, parking at the AMC theaters in Fitchburg was awful. You would think the parking lot was covered in snow! And I wonder why when the concession stand used to put butter flavoring on my popcorn they always put some in the middle then finished putting more popcorn in and put more butter on the top but now that we have to put it on ourselves they leave us no way to put it in the middle or salt for that matter! We also had really good previews. Sharon wants to see all the movies we saw previews of. Unfortunately for me, I can't even remember what they were!

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment